Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Staying over in Bangkok

Thursday, July 30, 2009--approx 2pm, Bangkok time.

On the flight to Bangkok from Tokyo, I slept. It was my intention to gaze down on the lights of Bangkok--to be in awe of it and my new experience--but this romantic idea was soon abolished when the toll of the last few days hit me in the Tokyo airport. This is different than I imagined it would be.

The fact that things are different than I imagined does not surprise me. What surprises me, really, is that I haven't been surprised at anything so far. I have been prepared to be amazed, confused, displaced... but I haven't felt that way at all. Rather, I have enbraced easily the exchange of the Thai baht (currency), the street vendors, the hookers and backpackers, and the nightlife. Despite my lack of research, I feel totally comfortable making decisions in this "strange and foreign" land.

But, perhaps, because Thailand (Bangkok specifically) is so integrated, I should not feel so smug. Everything here has an English translation, and I have not felt secluded because I speak only English (an ignorance about which I'm quite embarassed, and must often forgive myself). The area I'm in (Khao San Road, north Old City) caters to English-speaking foreigners, as do the transit and hotel industries.

I came in last night by cab (taximeter) from the Suvarnabhumi airport. It cost me about 300 THB (approx 10 USD), which dropped me off at the end of the street. Khao San Road is blocked off at night from motor vehicles, due to the street partying, and only tuk tuks (tiny open trucks with 2-row seating) are allowed entrance. As I rolled my luggage through the groups of partiers, food carts, vendors, advertisers, and hookers, it reminded me of New Orleans. Music and people hang from balconies and rooftops, giving the atmosphere a general sense of celebration. Sorry, folks; I didn't see any flashing.

I'm staying at the D&D Inn, a haven for young partiers and backpackers. It's slap in the middle of Khao San Road, which is known for its many shops and street vendors. Luckily, the D&D has one of the biggest signs on the street. Otherwise it might have blended in with the myriad other signs, arrows, and neon. The entrance is down one of the many alleyways, which leads straight through the lobby, then out the other way to the cross-alley behind the building, where more shops and bars are lined up.

I had selected the hotel from my "Top 10" guidebook I read on the flight from Tokyo (before I fell asleep), which noted it is a "great place to meet people" and, although I had intended to go straight to bed when I got here, I became exhilarated with the excitement on the street. Bangkok nightlife rages on until the wee hours. Khao San is packed with bars, signs, posters, people, smells (both delicious and disgusting), and... trash.

I stuck mostly around the strip, but did venture off for a little bit (with Chang Lite in hand). I promptly got lost, but kept my cool, and found my way back to the Khao San, where I met Renee from Holland.

My timer is running out on the internet cafe computer, so I'll tell you more later... time to do the tourist thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment